Saturday, October 31, 2009

October ends in Frustration

I owe 3 ppl money, and when i go to the 123 stitch site (GCs needed for 2 ppl), everything is the way it is always. I check the automated emails i have got from Paypal and 123stitch - normal again, and so i relax - till tomorrow. Next day, i check with 123stitch on the status, and i find at their end the payment has been declined. I check the paypal site at my end - Status reads 'Pending'.
This night i buy a wonderful wish list item of mine for a VERY good deal. It is a Buy It Now item. I typically wait for the invoice as shipping info is not known for International cases most of the time. We need to contact seller, typically before buying. But the deal was so good, and the US shipping costs were the right non-hiked ones. So i had plunged in.

Next day, the invoice is ready waiting for me, and i hit the Paypal button. This time, there is a message 'This credit card cannot be used for this transaction...' I tried another (debit) card this time. Same message. I own only one of each (credit, debit) card.

Paypal gives me some odd reasons and suggestions which i try and fail in.

So now i call up my credit card bank. They do say,
day 1)the transactions have been declined. The Master server is down. Unless that comes up nothing can be done. => Logical to me. Fine, will wait for 24 hours
day 2)no problem at our end, Ma'm. The transaction has been declined at the Master end. (Mine is a Mastercard CC). Server is down => Irritated now, this is business for Mastercard correct? They cant have their server down for over 24 hours. Even two hours is a bother.
day 3)the merchants need to be enabled with Verified by Visa and Mastercard Secure payments. i.e. each time an online transaction is done, at the time of paying the V/M screen pops ups asking for a password - only when authenticated, you are 'let in' and the payment accepted =>got the problem.

This logo is what is needed on web sites where i do any online payments - this brings in the additional authentication screen. (My CC has this passowrd - had enabled the same during my IT filing)
I now have asked both paypal and ebay about this. And am waiting for an answer to c. This tells me the solution will take a LOT OF TIME. I do not see any thing on the websites that shows either ebay or paypal to be Visa/Mastercard 'security compliant'. This extra layer of security is to minimise fraudulent usage of cards, but looks like i am at the losing end, eh?

Net-Net:
1. The sellers have been sweet and understanding, so though i am feeling miserable, at least i know they trust me
2. I will prolly get my Indian friends / colleagues in the US to pay for me?? and i can pay them here. Dont feel good about this, but have no choice it appears:(
3. This is the end of my xs purchases, at least for a LONGISH TIME

If anyone of you have experienced this for your online payments, pls share your experiences.. I really really want to cross this hurdle soon. Thanks in advance

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear about the card problems, don't have both so no experience with that. Hope it will be cleared up soon for you.

    ReplyDelete